Jim's MGA Restoration

Progress of my restoration of a 1959 MGA Roadster

Friday, August 19, 2005

Progress - August 15, 2005

===========================================================================
August 15, 2005
===========================================================================
I didn't actually work on the MGA on the 15th as it was my 35th wedding anniversary! My long and happy marriage is due to by tolerant and bemused wife, Michael Ann.

This past weekend, I continued work on the main frame rails, welding and grinding. The grinding goes fairly quickly using a 4" dia, 80-grit flapper wheel on my angle grinder; however, it takes some finesse to get things smooth without taking off too much base metal. I will put a thin coat of bondo over these welds before painting the frame, so they will be almost invisible.
This picture shows the end of the square crossmember with a rusty section cut out. Also visible is the replacement section of 16GA steel. The new piece was cut out with a saber saw and a metal cutting blade. I emptied about a half cup of junk out of the end of the crossmember before welding this back up.
This picture shows the welding in progress. I am using .040 flux core wire, and welding in the vertical position. As long as you work with short beads of about 3/8" and skip around, things go pretty smoothly.
This shows the weld finished and ground down. This was a quick and easy repair - very satisfying. I think I am also going to have to do the other crossmember end, as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home