Jim's MGA Restoration

Progress of my restoration of a 1959 MGA Roadster

Friday, August 19, 2005

Progress - August 22, 2005

===========================================================================
August 22, 2005
===========================================================================
This past week I finished up the welding and grinding on the main frame rails. I ordered and received an 11lb. spool of Spoolarc "Easy Grind" bare mig wire - .030 size. Also got my gas bottle filled with 75/25 Argon/CO2 mix. This is a small 20lb bottle, so we'll see how long it lasts. Couple of lessons on the gas bottle - it must have a sticker on it identifying the contents (for HAZMAT clean-up, etc.), and the welding supply place will apply it if needed. Also, pay attention to the manufacturing date stamped on the bottle. Mine has a 10-year life, and must be recertified after that, at $25 cost. Some stores exchange bottles, and if they give you an older one near its expiration date, you may have trouble the next time you go for a refill; better to keep your own.
Here is a picture of the cardboard pattern and the 16GA patch for the rear portion of the frame cut-out. The repair piece firnished by Todd Clarke doesn't cover this area (he probably makes one, but I didn't order it). This was cut out with a saber saw from a blank purchased from Home Depot.
And here is the patch welded in. This was with flux core wire.
Here is a small patch under the square crossmember needed to give a finished look to the job.
Finally, here is the passenger side frame rail after some more welding and grinding, and I think that does it, even though I am not that happy with the smoothness of the finished product. A thin coat of bondo over the welds and it ought to look pretty good.
This is a real milestone I think - the first floor support rail welded in! Required a little trimming on the ends to fit flush. I made the welds with the gas setup. I am still learning, but seem to do best if I get in position so that I can see the arc as I weld; that is, weld from right to left, pushing the torch and looking right down at the arc. If I pull the torch toward me and weld "blind," I have a hard time getting the bead to go where I want it to. The welds on the bottom are better looking.
By the way, I am not convinced that the "Easy Grind" is that much easier to grind than the Lincoln flux core wire. We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home