Jim's MGA Restoration

Progress of my restoration of a 1959 MGA Roadster

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Progress - September 19, 2005

=============================================================================
September 19, 2005
=============================================================================

Gasp! Not much progress this week due to press of other duties. I did receive my three carbide burrs and tried one out using a portable drill instead of the angle die-grinder. It seems to cut pretty well, and I'm hopeful that I can shape the welds up fairly easily. Also the company will re-sharpen the burrs for 40% of the new cost - that seems like a deal to me.

I tried to buy a replacement transmission tunnel, but fooled around and missed it on ebay; however, at $100 plus about $20 shipping, the cost was high enough to justify repairing mine.

I also bought some steel and made sketches of the replacement battery trays. From the chassis drawing on the "mgaguru" website, I scaled these to be 7-1/2" wide if anyone wants to know. So I have plans to build them, but then yesterday I was looking at Todd Clarke's catalog, and he sells the battery trays for $95 the pair. Seems like a good price, and a better solution, so I may buy from him, although they would be for 6V batteries, and I would still have to extend one to go to a single 12V.

I also bought anither 4-1/2 grinder - this one a Ryobi for $39.95 from Home Depot - so maybe it'll last longer.

Other than that, it was a slow week on the MGA, but I'm hoping for good progress on my Friday off this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home